May 30, 2010
Relevance of Vedas and their teachings/guidelines for the Modern Age
Main Vedic Thoughts
Dear Spiritual Brothers and Sisters,
A number of seekers of Vedic knowledge have desired to know what are the main teachings, guidelines and thoughts in Vedas. My study as an ordinary simple follower of Vedic Sanatan Dharma reveal the following.
Relevance of Vedas for Modern Age
1. Lately we all find that our social interaction is limited to our families, friends, relations etc as community welfare is never our main aim/motto of life- Vedas aim at building Social Capital of the followers of Vedic Sanatan Dharma. Vedas therefore, guide us to community welfare/Universal Brotherhood/One Global Family i.e. Viswa Banhutva and Vasudhaiva Kutumbkam.
2. In social service the concept of Success is difficult to define- so Vedas advise it is better to be a man of value than of success. For Value system Vedas have a science of Axiology covering comprehensively all Idealistic. Ideational and sensate values .
3. Research in social sciences and medical sciences has found that helping others not for recognition is good for heart. It is great way to exercise your heart and soul. On social service there are a number of mantras/riks/hymns in Vedas.
4. Vedas specifically guide us to modern sociologists TEACH principle of Transparency, Ethics, Accountability, Conduct and Human welfare.
5. Unless self rule (Swaraj) is at the grass root level in Democracy, the rulers tend to become autocratic, corrupt, hypocrite and tyrannical. So Vedas advise us to establish two main institutions of Swaraj viz. Vidhta and Sabha and scientific rules for governance for the welfare of the citizens.
6. Ishta theory of Vedas describes paths could be different so long as these paths aim at the welfare of mankind and other animate and inanimate life. Similarly after study of Vedas six schools of Indian philosophy (Sad Darshana)- based on monism, Dualism, and even Atheism developed but all aimed at the welfare of mankind. Thus Vedas in whatever way we describe are meant for the welfare of mankind.
Vedas do not consider matter as inert and explain in a large number of hymns that matter has unsuspected vitality. All religions should aim at unity in diversity i.e. (should lead to universal brotherhood-viswa bandhutva), global family of the same One God (vasudhaivan kutumbkam), global trade and global market for the material and spiritual welfare of mankind
The Supreme Reality being Nirguna Brahman-formless, ineffable and self-created, avoid explaining God through categories, substance, activity, quality and relationship. HE is beyond cognition, perception of human senses, logic of mind and intellect. Words recoil to explain the Supreme Reality. Only true and harmonized material, spiritual and divine knowledge (para jnan) can unite all religions to compete with each other for the welfare of mankind.
For the theists with material and intellectual knowledge, multiplicity of gods is seen in the form of idols, icons and incarnation of God as a human being. Any individual who starts moving towards para jnan (higher knowledge), all arguments start and end at One formless and ineffable God who is Sat, Chit, Anand – the only reality, supreme consciousness, and bliss.
What is admirable in the Vedas is that their powerful and comprehensive philosophy was created for all ages and for the entire mankind. This philosophy was made available at a time when most parts of the world had hallucinations of ghosts getting out of dead bodies, when shadow was interpreted as the soul, spirit, ghosts, and the soul was considered to be getting out of the body at night during dreams. It was the period when the concept of inner and outer world was highly confused. Out of fear complex the ancient man worshipped snakes, animals, plants, and clouds by creating millions of gods with form. When in most parts of the world the religion of animism was wide spread, the Vedic metaphysics was getting developed in the areas which now lie in the states of Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Georgia, Pakistan and some Northern parts of India. Arya Vrata was the land spreading up to Parshavas (Persia), Ariana(later Iran) and this land was not a fairy tale country, since the Vedas nowhere describe mythology as part of metaphysics.
The Dark Age or Kaliyuga has the predominance of avarnas and vritras (non divine people) In this Age owing to spread of only material and intellectual knowledge bereft of divine and spiritual knowledge, the predominant features are superstitions, unscientific outlook, blind faith, hypocrisy, naked selfishness and wide spread corruption. Fake gurus and god-men who get hallucination that they are the incarnation of various gods on this earth, multiply. Thus Vedic metaphysics meant for the guidance of human beings of this Dark Age is largely ignored. However, the study of Vedas would reveal that Vedic gurus (Gu- darkness and Ru- to dispel) are the dispellers of both inner and outer darkness. They are more like Socrates, Mencius, St Augustine, Immanuel Kant, Sankrachrya, Guru Nanak and swami Daya Nanda and do not bear any resemblance to the modern god men, gurus, babas, tantriks and swamis.
Vedas explain scientifically Brahmajnan which is harmonized divine, spiritual and material knowledge.
Vedic economics Artha and Vedic physical sciences are based on matter with unsuspected vitality
Purpose of human birth is to assist the Supreme Architect (Viswakarma) in the maintenance of Thy Grand wondrous Design by following Rta (Laws of Narure). Having created these Laws even God follows these Rta sternly.
Atharva Veda explains why Vedas are Shruti (Heard/Revealed)? Atharva Veda tells us when soul (atma) was provided to human beings by the Supreme Soul (Paramatma), Vedas were revealed through Rsis and Munniesof yore. Human soul is Vachispatiah- one can communicate with it as in contains all the knowledge of Vedas.
Education system for allocating four Varnas (divine professions) has been explained in great details in Vedas.
Physical Sciences of matter with unsuspected vitality are very useful but Scientific Temper is more important.
Many other subjects, concepts and thoughts are there in Vedas which can be mentioned briefly.
Equality of men and women, all Religions based on local conditions, environments, culture should compete for the welfare of mankind-
Concept of A-priori Knowledge known to human soul
Need to follow path of Moderation and enlightened liberalism-Iddam nan mmam
Earth is not a quarry for material exploitation but a benign Mother
No concept of caste system based on birth but concept of four divine professions (Chatvar Varna Ashram) and four stages of life.
Role of Old people, nine kinds of evils. corruption and negative thoughts entering Human body through 99 sources os senses, sense organs and outward looking mind “Etani”
Vedas contain Spiritual Science against present egoistic commercial spiritualism
Rtam, Satyam dharmmam. Rtam Laws of Nature are eternal truths (satyam) and following these Rtam is Vedic Dharma.
Physical sciences and scientific temper, role of soul, manifested soul, and spirit in human body which is described as tri-ani-pada i.e. three bodies in one (1) divine body having immortal Souls, (2) spiritual body containingJeeva (spirit), intellect (Buddhi). Ego and inward looking mind and material body containing five senses, five sense organs, outward looking mind and other material instruments and many other major and minor subjects like Republic, Democracy, role of bureaucrats, Rulers, Commander-in-chief,Ashvinau (scientists), Ribhu (Industrialists), Guru (Preceptors) as dispellers of inner and outer darkness etc.
A perusal and study of “Glimpses of Vedic Metaphysics” on the Internet can give more details on the subject. The seekers of Vedic knowledge can access this book through website http://www.sabhlokcity.com/metaphysics/ OR throughgoogle.com/ yahoo.com/ lulu.com. Search for the Book or Vedic Metaphysics.
With warm regards,
Yours spiritual brother,