Subjects: 1. The Deadly Disease Corruption in India- Any viable solution?
2. What Vedas say about Corruption?
Hobbes described in his “Leviathan” that man by nature is ungrateful, fickle, deceitful, cowardly and avaricious. Since human nature of any material man by and large is same, some degree of corruption is throughout the world. However, India is perceived as one of the most corrupt countries. In the developed countries corruption is mostly at higher level and not at grass root level so the common man is not much affected by the same. In India it is at all levels affecting day to day life of the citizens in regard to civic and social amenities. In Singapore , Finland , Australia and a few other countries it is considered as deadly disease both in private and public sectors. Clearly Science of Good Governance can considerably reduce corruption.
In India it is mainly due to our dead, inflexible and redundant colonial systems of pre Independence days in regard to urban and rural administration supplemented by Indian brand of outdated Socialism cause of excessive centralization, corruption and criminalization in politics. Solution lies in attaining Swaraj (self rule), Freedom with accountability, transparency and complete decentralization/bottom up democracy based on science of good governance. Also we should implement without any further delay Amendments number 73 and 74 to the Constitution of India approved in 1992. Without any valid justification these have not been implemented in their entirety so far even after 17 years of their approval by Parliament.
We should have at levels i.e. Central government, State governments and Local governments Ethics Committees consisting of men/women of proved integrity from the public. Their findings on guide lines on ethics should be widely made public every week for their views and implementation
Incidentally Vedas are the supreme scriptures of followers of Sanatan Dharma and UNESCO has accorded Heritage Status to Rig Veda being useful for mankind. I give briefly whatVedas say on Corruption.
With kind regards,
(Let noble thoughts come to us from all sides” (Rig Veda)
“Rtam, Satyam, Dharmam,” -Cosmic laws of social, moral and physical orders (Rtam) are eternal truths (Satyam) and following these Rta (cosmic laws) is Vedic Dharma (Rig Veda)
Dear Seekers of Vedic Knowledge and those who are keen to end corrupt practices in the world,
Subject: Corruption as described in Vedas
Recognizing its utility to mankind Rig Veda has been accorded the status of “Heritage” by UNESCO. Rig Veda contains a large number of hymns/riks on the causes of corruption and how to eliminate the same in any mosaic society of individuals following different ptofessions. In the other three Holy Vedas also a few mantras/hymns relate to Corruption.
Sama Veda 179 and 913 describes Corruption as hydra headed, having nine heads (nine kinds) and it enters the human body through ninety nine sources i.e. nine kind of corruption enters through five senses, five sense organs and etani i.e. the outward looking mind (9X11==99). Later Ramayana described this evil through nine corrupt heads of Ravana. We burn his nine corrupt heads every year on Dussehra day. Similarly later Mahabharata described 99 sources of entry of corruption through 99 corrupt sons of blind Kaurva king Dhritrashtra.
99 vritras (powers of evil) are mentioned in Rig Veda 1-84-13. It further says in 1-104-3 taking bribe for money belonging to the state is misappropriation of public funds. All bribe takers are thieves of God and they get rebirth in the foulest of the womb (confirmed even in Bhagavad-Gita). R.V 3-34-6 and Yajur Veda 30-22, the corrupt people should not be allowed by the ruler to mix with people following chatvar varnasharam (four divine professions). Y.V 30-19 and R.V 5-61-8 mention that those persons who praise and justify are also corrupt persons, keep away from them. R.V 1-42-4 even mentions keep away from Gurus (preceptors) who take donations/charity.
Causes of Corruption
1. The corruption creeps in society when the matter is considered as inert and the members of society do not find any sin in treating the benign mother earth as a quarry. In Rig Vedas spirit of God is in theshuniya (cosmic void) of each sub atomic particle of atom- the building block of matter. Hence the matter has unsuspected vitality and its use on need based living is virtue and its excessive use is a sin. Corruption creeps in a society where economics (artha) is based on inert matter and the possession of wealth/any kind of matter having predominance oftamasic guna of stupor is considered as a matter of pride.
MAYA creates a Golden dazzling Disc for such individuals and hides the truth and Supreme Reality for them. Maya also creates the greatest miracle that we search for God every where when He resides in our hearts.
2. Rig Veda further says that purpose of human birth is to assist nirguna Brahma(ineffable and formless God) who is also Supreme Architect (Viswakarma) in the maintenance of His Grand wondrous Design. For the maintenance of this Design, He has created Rta- eternal cosmic laws of necessity and wants all human beings to follow the same. Having created these eternal laws of nature “He Himself” follows them sternly lest a great harm is done to the cosmic creation. Thus He and His Laws (Rta) are the same. When the individuals in any society starts ignoring these laws available to human beings through the Book of Nature (which even blind individuals can read), corruption creeps in society.
3. R.V 10-34-13 also says that any kind of gambling particularly the game of dice is also cause of corruption. The vehement effect of this evil of the game of dice was described in Mahabharata.
Corruption destroys all the noble attributes of human beings due to pursuit of only material knowledge bereft of spiritual and divine knowledge, which in Vedas is ignorance/nescience/ajnan. (R.V 1-129-6). Only harmonized divine, spiritual and material knowledge is true knowledge (Janan) inVedas.
Start of Corruption
Rig Veda says when even one human being dies of starvation, it is a signal that corruption has crept in society and avarnas (followers of non divine professions) who want honour, power and wealth for themselves have started multiplying. In Kaliyuga (Dark Age) their number far exceeds the followers of divine professions (varnas). Ethics and community welfare becomes the greatest casualty. Rig Veda says the thieves of God (bribe givers/takers) who consider matter as inert become insensitive to hydra headed corruption and resort to ostentatious worship and donations/gift culture to gain social recognition. Most of them drift from darkness to utter darkness through meditation (Isa Upanishad and Yajur Veda). The various virtuous concepts like iddm nan mmam–nothing for self all for society akin to enlightened liberalism of Aristotle, moderation of Vedas/middle path of Buddha and the noble concept of illusion of comfort in the vast turbulent sea of matter (Vedic Phantasmagoria-Cosmic delusion MAYA) are no longer considered as virtue in the materialistic corrupt society dominated by non divine avarna, vritras, kimidin etc.
In India this evil of corruption is now becoming “Leviathan” and giant demon and is spreading like wild fire. The guide lines given by the wise metaphysicists (rsis of yore) and wandering sages (munnies of the Vedic period) can help in arresting this nefarious and extremely dangerous drift. Kautaliya in his socio-political treatise “Arthashastra” (partly based on Vedic metaphysics) clearly says the evil of corruption spreads faster when the state gives lip sympathy to curb corruption and promote honesty.
For more details on corruption and other main subjects of Vedas, “Glimpses of Vedic Metaphysics” for on line reading and even taking print at no cost is available on the Internet. Website ishttp://www.sabhlokcity.com/
metaphysics/. Also the book can be accessed through search engines of google.com, yahoo.com, lulu.com. Search for the book “Glimpses of Vedic Metaphysics” or just “Vedic Metaphysics”.
This Vedic Message is based on the following hymns/mantras of Vedas
Sama Veda 179 and 913, Rig Veda 1-84-13, 1-104-3. R.V 3-34-6, R. V 5-61-8, 1-42-4, R.V 10-34-13, R.V 1-129-6. Yajur Veda 30-22, Y. V 30-19.
With kind regards,
Your spiritual brother
1. Kindly render divine social duty and forward this Vedic description of Corruption to other seekers of Vedic knowledge.
2. Incidentally this article has been published as slightly abridged in “The Pioneer” dated 23-8-08
3. Revival of Vedas (Shruti –directly revealed by God) can strengthen Sanatan Dharma (eternal religion)
4. Why Shruti? Atharav Veda explains it clearly.
5. There is an urgent need to translate Vedasin all local languages for the followers to understand their teachings and guide lines.
6. About elimination of Corruption and Science of Good governance/Administrative Reforms, please read e-book at no cost by an Ex I.A.S officer on website
7. It is high time we should ensure that Vedic Teachings and Guidelines reach each House/Home of the seekers of Vedic knowledge.